New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

Lonespark
A New England slacktivite (Slacktiverse-ite?) event is happening today, Wed. Jan. 9th.  Current plan is "Lonespark and chris the cynic go see The Hobbit in Saco, ME at 11:30 am."  That plan could change a little or a lot if anyone else gets in on it.  chris will probably be available by internet in the morning.

I propose we have another one two months from now, and interested people hash it out in this thread.

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

Brin
The thing about New England meet-ups is that they're not 100% unfeasible for me, just maybe 98% unfeasible. (Best case scenario would probably be that there's a family trip to Massachusetts sometime this year and I convince my parents to let me tell you which museum we're going to and when. (Which I might actually be able to talk them into. We've been known to host parties for some of Mom's Internet friends at our house, and Dad occasionally leaves for most of the day to visit a couple of his.)) Other than that, I wish those of you with more control over your movements through MA (and preferably with less than a nine- or ten-hour drive) luck.

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

chris the cynic
Brin wrote
(Best case scenario would probably be that there's a family trip to Massachusetts sometime this year and I convince my parents to let me tell you which museum we're going to and when.
If you can do it with enough advanced notice, something might well be able to be arranged around that.  And museums are fun places.

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

Lonespark
Yeah, a museum is a great idea.

I propose we hold the next event some time between March 7th and 13th.  Default plan is to do something involving a museum.  I can get some folks in free to the Science Museum and Aquarium in Boston, and also affiliated institutions in other places.  I promise we will make it affordable to anyone who can come.  I don't know how much we can do about facilitating travel; if you live roughly near Boston, Portland, or points between, I can probably pick you up.  Otherwise, maybe people can coordinate some ride sharing?

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

chris the cynic
I'm generally not good at projecting that far into the future, but it looks like, if I'm looking at things right, the tenth, eleventh and 13th would be bad for me.

So I propose that it be narrowed down to 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th.  The tenth I might have some wiggle room on, the 11th and 13th not so much.  Of course, if someone is only available on days I'm not, now would be a good time to say so.

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

Brin
Lonespark wrote
I can get some folks in free to the Science Museum [...] in Boston
If possible, please ride the skeleton bicycle on my behalf. Thank you, that is all.

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

cjmr
I'll have to look at all the various iterations of my calendar, but we (the kids and I) should be able to do the 9th or the 12th.   I have some appointments the week of March with the 7th and 8th in, and I'm not sure exactly what days.

Middle daughter has been begging to go to the aquarium, but all three kids love science museums, too.

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

Lonespark
THIS IS VERY EXCITING!

So I guess we are looking at a meetup on the 9th, the 12th, or both.  I think there's something to be said for going to museums during the week, but since I don't normally do it, I'm not sure.  (Because maybe there are tons of school kids everywhere?  Or special things that only happen on weekends?)

I was in contact with Izzy earlier this week and she expressed interest.

I guess when we decide something we should post it to the Facebook group and possibly over at Fred's place.

Re: New England Meet-ups: Thursday, Feb 21st

Lonespark
There is another less-than-official activity planned for February 21st.  I will be driving from Boston Metro North up to the Portland area to have lunch and unspecified budget-dependent additional fun with chris the cynic.  As of now, I have one passenger: the incomparable Izzy.  I have five more seats in my van.

Re: New England Meet-ups: Wednesday, Feb 20th

Lonespark
I had to change to Wednesday.  Looking forward to it!

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

chris the cynic
I know it's hard to illicit responses from people, and I know most people don't read the forums, but if possible could we get a sound off here?

The ninth is next week, the twelfth the week after.  Who is in, who is out, who is maybe?

I think the ninth is better for me.  I can be more sure of that in a few days, but right now indicators say the ninth is probably better.  (Note: the ninth is definitely good, it's just that I might be ok on the 12th too, I have to ask someone.  Someone not here at the moment.)

Are we going to try to do something on just one day, both days, what?

Will Izzy be able to make it?  cjmr?  Lonespark from whom I usually get my rides?  (Without transportation I'm out because unless you all plan on coming up to the greater Portland area I cannot get to the same place as you.)  Anyone else?

Can we get anything nailed down?

-

Also, will there be kids, no kids?  It doesn't much matter to me, but it might matter to someone else.  Especially if someone leaves their kids home because they think no kids and then someone else brings their kids.  That could be awkward and frustrating.

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

cjmr
Well, the 9th is now officially right out for cjmr and company, as we will probably still be digging out tomorrow.  I can't believe how much it snowed overnight!

Not sure about the 12th, my schedule is changing hourly at this point.

(And, yes, I was hoping to bring my kids, since we homeschool and I have them all the time.)

Re: New England Meet-ups: January 9th and beyond

chris the cynic
Well, unfortunately, that means that I definitely won't be meeting you this time around.

The ninth, on which unless someone says otherwise I'm going to assume no one is doing anything (it's tomorrow so short notice) is open for me, the 12th not so much.  Interestingly Sunday the 10th seems to have opened up for me when I was initially ruling that out, but that's likewise short notice for anyone to make plans.

Short version: Since she started dating her boyfriend I haven't seen nearly as much of my mother as I used to so the once or twice a week I might see her I try to leave open*.  I was hoping that We'd use the 10th for together time, which usually involves skiing, and that would leave the 12th, her day off that week, free since we've discovered that, this year at least, we need more than one day recovery time between ski days.  But it looks like Sunday will be spent not-with-me and the 12th will be spent with me.  So definitely not free on the 12th.

So the 12th is out for me (it also happens to be the day after my mother's birthday so definitely not a good day to say, "I know you were looking forward to this but I'm gonna go off and do something else.")  That said, I hope others are able to meet up then.

-

* Which is why I'm never available on Sundays unless otherwise stated.  Sunday she always has off, her other day off is on a rotating schedule.