Post Beta Read Request Thread

12

Post Beta Read Request Thread

Froborr
One of the best things about having TBAT as gatekeepers was that they comprised a third party to review your post with fresh eyes before it went live. I figure it would be nice to have a thread for people to request/volunteer for said reviews.

That said... anybody willing to give my post a read and review this weekend? It's already written, so I can e-mail it as soon as I get home.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

EllieMurasaki
I have emailed SlacktiverseAuthors about posting permissions and scheduling and whatnot for an article I'd submitted to Old Slacktiverse but never gotten around to editing to their satisfaction. It's about gender in square dancing, and of the problems they pointed out in the beta process, the one that I haven't figured out how to fix is the change in register given that my conclusion is what I think and what concerns me when the body of the article is what the facts are. I would appreciate someone giving the article a look-see and suggesting a way to fix the conclusion, and pointing out any other problems the article might have. (I clearly cannot fix the conclusion on my own, as demonstrated by I've had their critique since May.) I think it's postable as is, just not as good as it could be, so if no one steps up it's not a problem, but I'd appreciate it.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

Froborr
Feel free to e-mail it to me, I'll try to get it done by the end of the weekend?

[name I post under] at the gmails.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

EllieMurasaki
Thank you!

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

Froborr
Have you sent it? I haven't seen it in my inbox yet.

If you haven't sent it yet, please disregard and take your time, I just want to make sure it wasn't spamtrapped or anything.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

EllieMurasaki
Most of two hours ago.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

Froborr
Found it in the spam trap.

Will try my best to get it done this weekend. Unfortunately something just came up that means I won't be able to do what I planned to tonight, pushing everything back a day, but I should still be able to do this.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

EllieMurasaki

No worries. Thank you!

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

kisekileia
Oops, I forgot this thread was here. I've written the rest of my post. It's called '“Don’t Worry About Thinness: Just Eat Healthy Food and Exercise”: A Righteous Smackdown'. 917 words. Anyone want to beta? The tone is kind of informal and the focus is pretty personal right now, but my own situation is an excellent example of the point I'm trying to make.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

storiteller
I'd like a beta read on a post that I can't send quite yet, but will be able to next week.  Ideally, I'd like Ana to read it because it hits issues that she's expressed sensitivity on.  I'll email her individually as well, but if anyone else would like to beta-read, it would be awesome.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

chris the cynic
I'm generally not good at anything beyond proofreading for typos, but if if either of you want, I'll take a look over your posts-to-be.

cpw at maine dot rr do com.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

chris the cynic
So, I'm in the middle of writing something intended for tomorrow.  (Putting things off for the last minute, I do it.)  And by middle I mean toward the end, but the thing is, I could really use beta readers.  Anyone up for that.  Need to get your input back by early tomorrow morning if it's going to work.

What topic? And define 'early tomorrow morning'.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

chris the cynic
Usually I at least know the topic by the end of the post (which I have finished writing) but this time I'm not really sure.  Which means maybe it should just be trashed.

Somewhere, and I checked the expected places and couldn't figure out where, I recently heard, "I don't want to believe; I want to know," and it caused me to flashback to at least a decade of atheists saying that to theists, somehow missing the point that I think a key component of fundamentalism is the desire for certainty.  The desire to know instead of believe.  Which is what results in the bubble that makes them wrong so damn often.

But, honestly, I don't know what my point was.

So I don't know if there's really a topic.

As for early tomorrow, at 7:30 AM Eastern Time I'm getting picked up and I don't know if where I'm going will have internet access (I think and hope it will, but I don't know) So if I don't get it posted before then then I might not get it posted at all.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

EllieMurasaki

It sounds interesting. Send it to me, mercuryblue144 at gmail, and I'll look it over after work. I don't usually go to bed till four or five am Eastern, so you should have it in plenty of time.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

chris the cynic
Should be sent.

Got it.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

EllieMurasaki
Check your inbox.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

Chris
First off, thanks.  I was in such a hurry this morning I don't think I had time to say it.

-

Second, if everything goes to plan, I'm going to be spending tomorrow trying to compose an open letter to a certain school district's school board, and then send a copy to anything that stands even a snowball's chance in Hell (the really hot parts of Hell I mean, not the cold ones) of considering the possibility of maybe publishing it (and the school board itself, of course.)  Between those two things, the writing of the open letter and the sending copies to everywhere, it might be a good thing to get other sets of eyes on it.

This would not be a Slacktiverse post unless other people (plural for a reason, and I think it'd have to be very plural for this to be legitimate) thought it should be as some kind of exception because it's the opposite of an exclusive.  I want it to go to as many sources as possible, though in honestly I expect none of them to publish it and nothing to come of it.

Still, I plan to write something, if I get it written I could use beta readers.  One is better than none, two is better than one, so on, so forth.  But, it's not a post being written for the Slacktiverse.  So maybe asking for beta readers here isn't the right thing to do.

That's the situation, would anyone be interested?

-

Also if anyone has advice on places I should send it but might not have considered, that would be appreciated too.

Re: Post Beta Read Request Thread

kisekileia
Chris, I read it on your blog. It's good, but I would shorten the first section because usually letters to the editor need to be shorter. You should look for the word count preferred by the places you want to send it to, but it tends to be under 400 words, sometimes more like 100-200.
12