Scheduling things

12

Scheduling things

chris the cynic
Basically what we want is for every post to get it's time at the front, so that someone just coming to the main page will see it right at the top and it has some time as the most prominent post to give people a chance to start discussing it (if it is that kind of post) before something new comes up to distract them.  And stuff.

So scheduling stuff would be good.

-

The only regular posts we have to think about are board posts and Weekend posts, and possibly the deconstruction round up if people generally think it's a good idea.

The Weekend post goes up either late in the day on Saturday or early in the day on Sunday, meaning that Sunday is the only day we need to keep free for it.

My plan, which is subject to debate if people disagree with it, is to have the board posts on Thursday.

If the deconstruction round up happens then I was thinking Friday mostly because that's when we had been doing links to Fred's deconstruction back when they were being done.  But 1) that's open for debate, 2) it doesn't necessarily need a day to itself.  It could be that we have a normal content post go up in the morning on Friday and then have the deconstruction round up go up in the evening.

-

Assuming we keep those things as I have suggested them that would leave Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday definitely free for either Main posts or semi-open threads (you know, threads with a prompt like we had at Typepad) and Friday possibly free.

That's a lot of days to fill and there's no reason we should be stumbling over each other so long as we communicate with each other.  This thread would be a place to do it.

Right now we have a main post (our first one) scheduled to go up on Saturday.

My preference is that we just do things on a first come first served basis, so if you've got a post you want to put up, just look for the next open spot (Monday of next week in this case) and say, "I've got a post for [next open spot].  That's my preference.

Since it's very unlikely that we'll have more posts than we can fit at this point, and since it's looking like people at the very least don't object to a deconstruction round up, I think for the beginning we should be considering Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, the days to fill at this point.

But, basically, everything is open for debate at this point.

-

And remember, we don't just need Main Posts, we need ideas for prompts to kick off mostly open threads.

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
Speaking of which, I have an idea for a main post for Monday or Tuesday, but since I'm not sure if it's the right sort of thing for this place, I'm going to make a thread asking if anyone would be interested in it, which I will link to in a moment.

It's been a moment.

Re: Scheduling things

Froborr
I have a post I submitted to Old!Slacktiverse that never made it up about atheism, Carl Sagan, and using skepticism to combat depression. Since it's already written, I can pretty much take any available day. So... Monday?

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
Monday's fine for me.  So I'll second Monday and if no one has any objections we can do your post on Monday and my grammar post on Tuesday.

That would mean that the next open days would be:

Wednesday the 17th
Saturday the 20th
Monday the 22nd
Tuesday the 23rd

(Friday can be opened up if we feel the need, but I'm much more worried about having too few posts than too many.)

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
An anonymous post is now scheduled for Wednesday, leaving the next open days:

Saturday the 20th
Monday the 22nd
Tuesday the 23rd
Wednesday the 24th
and So forth.

Re: Scheduling things

storiteller
I'm glad to see we already have a couple of posts going!

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
I have a thought for a Saturday post, but given how life got in the way and I've only just finished the post I promised for tomorrow, I'm wary of making promises at this point.  Plus I'm in a state of tired where I don't even know if the post for tomorrow is any good or if it will cause all of you to want me to never post again.

Re: Scheduling things

ZMiles
I had a thought on a possible recurring post (weekly, or less often, as people found time to write them up). I posted it in a comment thread on the blog, but since it's not as much related to the post itself, I thought I'd put it here too:

ZMiles wrote
...I had for a weekly post: cool communities on the Internet. People could write about communities they are in and why they enjoy them or find them helpful. It could be a good resource, both for serious things (if someone is in a support group for a medical or social condition, for example), creative things (if someone's in an awesome writers' forum), or frivolous things (if someone thinks they've found the best lolcats forum out there). I could do an early one (I'd probably write about the Lunaverse group mentioned above, since I know there's a few MLP fans here).
Anyone else think this could be an interesting idea?

Re: Scheduling things

Froborr
Think I've got an idea for my next post (thanks Ana!). I can try to write it for Saturday if we need one, or I can do it for Monday.

Re: Scheduling things

Froborr
Okay, it's written and scheduled for Saturday, but I can change that to Monday if needed.

Re: Scheduling things

ZMiles
My Lunaverse post is ready to go and can be scheduled for whenever is good.

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
I was going to try to write up something for Monday, but it's looking increasingly like that's not going to happen, so Monday may very well be best.

I confess I don't keep track of these things, can you post it yourself or do you need someone to do it for you?  If the second send it in to the SlacktiverseAuthors email address and we'll get it scheduled.

Re: Scheduling things

ZMiles
I just set up a gmail/blogger account for the 'verse and got added to the list of authors, so I should be able to do it myself. I'll do it Monday morning (US-Eastern time) then; if I run into any trouble I'll send it to that email address.

Thanks!

Re: Scheduling things

Froborr
So, what is the next day for which we need content?

Re: Scheduling things

Froborr
I ask because I just got inspired to write something for tonight and I need to know when to schedule it for.

ETA: Specifically, it's on the passive voice, especially the divine passive, and how it's used for evil.

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
I've got a couple in various states of existence, none finished but any one of which could be finished in a hurry.

That said, If you've got something finished, and you want, you can put it up tomorrow.  (At least I think you can, I see nothing in the pipeline.)

At some point we're going to want to discuss the possibility of going to a lower main post schedule, right now we're getting things in almost precisely as fast as we need them, submissions drop just a bit and we'll have empty space, if we plan on having a slower pace of main posts (surrounded by open threads) then we might be able to build up a buffer of main posts so that we can be ready for slow spells when they come.

-

I look forward to your post with trepidation.  Ass is kicked by the passive voice, as is known to all.  Yet you claim that it is used for evil.

I suppose that is to be expected of anything by which ass is kicked... still: Trepidation.

Re: Scheduling things

Froborr
Post is up and scheduled to go live tomorrow morning.

And yes, as we get more regular board posts we might shift to a slower schedule. Or we could get more writers!

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
Just to keep everyone up to date, we're currently scheduled through Monday with at least two additional posts in the beta stage.

So, as of right now, counting only what is out of beta, the next available days are

Tuesday Oct 30
Wednesday Oct 31
[Thursday is board business post]
[Friday should be, if I can pull everything together in time, the first deconstruction roundup]
Saturday Nov 3rd
[Sunday left free so the weekend post has time to be up front]
Monday, Nov 5th

If we assume the two posts currently in beta are going to be the next two posts (Tuesday and Wednesday), then the next two open spots are:
Saturday Nov 3rd
Monday, Nov 5th

-

Just want to keep everyone updated as to the schedule

Re: Scheduling things

chris the cynic
Ok, so the scheduling is working out like this, today will be an open thread (with prompt) but because of scheduling and timezones and stuff it won't go up until later in the day than usual because I don't want to kick the current front post out of the front spot prematurely.

Anyway, the prompt for the thread flows specifically from Wednesday, or rather the word Wednesday, so it doesn't make sense to have it any other day of the week.

Saturday is filled, so the next openings are:

Monday the 5th of November, if anyone has a Guy Fawkes or V for Vendetta post you've been meaning to write, now would be a very good time to get it out of your system because if you do it now you can have the 5th.

Tuesday the 6th of November, if anyone has a post about Europeans or European descendants in Texas you've been dying to write, this would be a good day for it to be posted because ion this day in 1528  Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca became the first known European to set foot in Texas.

Wednesday the 7th of November, if anyone has a post about Women's Suffrage, women in government, or Art Museums this would be a good day to post it because it was on the 7th of November (in three very different years) that Colorado legalized women's suffrage, that the first woman was elected to the US Congress, and that the New York Museum of Modern Art opened to the public.

Saturday the 10th of November, uh... the Javanese kingdom of Majapahit starts, New Netherlands is handed over to the English (and not for the first time), US Marine Corps founded, a Goddess of Reason was declared by the French, Germany invades Vichy France in WWII, Sesame Street starts... ok, no idea.

The whole suggesting topics by date thing wasn't serious to begin with and I only did it because the first free day was the 5th of November.

The point is, those are the not yet taken days next week.

As for this week, hopefully the first deconstruction roundup goes up on Friday, but that depends on me and I've been having trouble keeping up with anything of late.  It seems like wherever there is a schedule I'm behind it.

Re: Scheduling things

EllieMurasaki
"Wednesday the 7th of November, if anyone has a post about Women's Suffrage, women in government, or Art Museums this would be a good day to post it because it was on the 7th of November (in three very different years) that Colorado legalized women's suffrage, that the first woman was elected to the US Congress, and that the New York Museum of Modern Art opened to the public."

Don't *tempt* me, ugh. I am doing NaNo. I do not have time to write anything else in November, and I do not want to write anything today.
12